FAQ – Tenants

Why do I need renters insurance?

Landlords insure the physical building against damage from occurrences such as fire, hail, lightning and vandalism. But their insurance policy does not cover your belongings. Another reason to get renters insurance is to protect yourself against accidents caused by other tenants.
Renters insurance can also help protect you against liability lawsuits or medical bills of guests injured in your apartment.
One of the most common reasons for an insurance claim is for damage to electronics from a lightning strike.
Please ask your insurance agent to explain your coverage.

When is the rent due?

The rent is always due on the first of the month. We do allow a five day grace period before we charge a late fee. The rent is due on the 1st, late on the 2nd and late fee will apply after the 5th. If you are having any difficulty paying your rent on time please call us immediately.

How do I pay my rent?

You can mail or drop off your certified check or money order to: Compass Property Mgmt LLC 1415 W. Kings Hwy Gap PA 17527
You can pay online on the tenant portal (ask to be set up) or drop a money order off in our drop box which is right beside the door to our office.

Who do I call for maintenance problems?

Call us so we can put it in the system and get someone out there. 717 442 0442

How do I know if I qualify for a house or an apartment ?

The only way to really know is to fill out an application which you can do online at www.compass.property. The basic minimum financial guideline is you should make at least 3 times the rent per month. If the rent is $1000 you should have verifiable income of at least $3000 per month.

What do I need before we get the keys ?

The lease must be signed and you will need the first months rent plus a security deposit. The security deposit is equal to one months rent. If you have a pet you will be required to pay an additional deposit for your pet. We will also need proof of income, ID for anyone over 18,  current renters insurance policy and the account numbers from the electric and water company showing that it was switched into your name.

How do I notify you that I’m moving out?

You must give us written notice of your intent to vacate the property 30 days before you plan on moving out. In the letter, please include the date you plan on returning the keys (rent will be charged until we receive the keys) and your forwarding address (if you know where you will be living next). If you don’t know your new address at that time, please make sure to call or email us to give it to us, so we can return your security deposit to you.